Baby update 9/12/13

I've realized I might have unintentionally left people hanging with what is going on with baby's CCAM. Things have been, for the most part, exceptionally normal and I suppose I haven't even thought of an update when there is seemingly nothing to update.

That being said, this is a quick run-down of where we are for anyone who has been curious.

Baby was born healthy, and an x-ray showed her mass was "minor", "nearly resolved", etc. She did not need assistance breathing, nursed like a champ, and showed no signs of any kind of health issue.

We brought her home and were originally supposed to meet with surgery at four weeks, but the surgeon said she would like a meeting closer to eight weeks. We meet with surgery next week, and she will also get a CAT scan to see what is going on with the mass. Just like when she was in utero - this thing can actually shrink down to nothing and disappear on its own. If there is any evidence of one at all (even a small one), she will undergo surgery to have it removed. Leaving it in could cause complications down the road, even if it is minor and not causing her any harm right now. Obviously, we won't know what is going on until she has the CT.

Right now we can only evaluate her based on her outward appearance and actions. Baby is still nursing and developing as she should. She's putting on pounds like crazy, smiling, cooing, sleeping for extended periods of time and puts up with being terrorized by her older sisters. If I didn't know she had health issues I would never suspect it. I would even go as far to say she's our healthiest and calmest baby.

I haven't really allowed myself to pay extra close attention to her breathing. As most parents know, you can drive yourself NUTS wondering if they stopped breathing during the night, so I kind of just keep a normal eye on it and not over-analyze. She does get the hiccups a lot and will occasionally have that weird, out-of-nowhere gasp that babies do every once in awhile. It's enough for me notice, but I don't think I would pay any attention to it if she didn't have the CCAM diagnosis. We are mindful of how we swaddle her and little things like that, but like I said, our day-to-day life is otherwise completely normal. Well, as normal as it can be with four weirdo children.

That's pretty much it, and you can probably see why I didn't bother to post an update in awhile. Outwardly she appears very healthy, and we won't know anything about a potential surgery until next week.

I want to thank everyone who asked how baby was doing and told us how happy they were things turned out so well. And to those who reassured me the scariness of the beginning would be a distant memory - you were right! :)


learning to smile :)

Comments

Popular Posts